Boot with ZFS on single disk: "ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable" [was: Re: GPT boot with ZFS RAIDZ "ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable"]

Emil Smolenski ambsd at raisa.eu.org
Thu Nov 19 10:21:31 UTC 2009

Robert Noland wrote:
>> 220000de400
> This divided by 512 byte block size is 33 bits... At a glance, the patch
> looks ok to me.  I'll do a more thorough review of this tomorrow.

Unfortunately it don't work. Error is the same as before:

ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: can't read MOS
ZFS: unexpected object set type 0
ZFS: unexpected object set type 0

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: pgpool:/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
ZFS: unexpected object set type 0

This is 7.2-STABLE, amd64. My test procedure:

1. I fully synchronized these zfsboot-related directories with -CURRENT:

src/sys/boot/i386/zfsboot
src/sys/boot/zfs
src/sys/cddl/boot/zfs

2. I applied Matt Reimer's zfsboot.c.patch3 patch:

# cd /usr/src/sys/boot/
# patch < /path/to/zfsboot.c.patch3

3. Then I did:

# make clean; make cleandir
# make obj ; make depend ; make
# cd i386/loader
# make install
# cd /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/zfsboot
# make install
# sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16
# dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/da0 count=1
# dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/da0 skip=1 seek=1024
# reboot

4. Result: error shown above.

Thanks!

--