About bwi

Sam Leffler sam at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 26 13:48:01 PST 2009

Alex Keda wrote:
> Kip Macy пишет:
>> Someone needs to be there to maintain it. To the best of my knowledge
>> no one appropriate has stepped forward.
> And what exactly should be supported?
> He finished - nothing more to do.
>
> no way to develop a driver.
> the new cards have to write a new driver.

The driver has many known issues and limitations. Without someone
willing to respond to user questions, update the code and test, etc.
committing the driver ends up causing more frustration and ill-will than
leaving it outside the tree. This is a lesson we've learned many
times--people encounter a broken driver and draw incorrect assumptions
about the system as a whole. Unfortunately noone has stepped up to own
the driver; trust me I've asked many times for someone.

Sam