Our old friend, the small default layout is back...

Nick Hilliard nick-lists at netability.ie
Wed Aug 26 16:05:01 UTC 2009

On 26/08/2009 16:46, illoai at gmail.com wrote:
> In addition to Novice, Standard, and Advanced, we must
> prepare for the future by adding a Foot-Shoot (default /
> size is 128M newfs -b 4096) and an Ubunutu option with
> one massive root partition with journaling and encryption
> and a swap file residing in /.

You're right.  My local computer shop is selling 1Tb disks for the
outrageous sum of €80, and as you infer, it's a ridiculous idea to default
to squandering 8 cents worth of disk space for the root partition instead
of 1 cent worth of space.  It's important to keep these things in
perspective: look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves.

On an related issue, as the freebsd8 amd64 default install is clearly aimed
at tiny, ancient installations, I have suddenly developed a pressing need
for ISDN and ATM support on a new amd64 server I bought last month with 4
megs of RAM and a 5 gig disk.  Can someone please pull this code back out
of the attic?  thanks in advance,

Seriously, though, is this worth arguing?

Nick
(off to paint his bikeshed)