diskless, swap and DHCP

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Mar 24 10:44:19 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 06:38:48PM +0100, Harti Brandt wrote:

> I'm trying to get an Ultra-1 to run diskless. So far most if the stuff
> works, I have however problems to set up swapping over NFS. There is a
> section in the handbook about this and I followed the instructions there
> without much faith in that it will work. And, yep, it doesn't. I have
> poked around in the sources and found no places, where the additional
> DHCP options for the swap file and size are parsed. So, how is that
> supposed to work?

I don't think we support the DHCP swap options.  It looks like what you
want to do is use the swapfile option in rc.conf to add a swapfile on a
drive you are NFS mounting RW.

> Also I wonder about the kenv variables dhcp.host-name and
> dhcp.domain-name-servers. There seems to be no places in the source where
> they will ever be set. So, again, how is that supposed to work?

I'm not seeing any of the dhcp.* names space on my diskless machines.
The hostname gets set if options BOOTP is in the kernel but that's done
directly in code in sys/nfsclient/.

-- Brooks