is vinum in current working for anyone

Tim Middleton x at Vex.Net
Fri Jan 9 21:21:17 PST 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 11:08, Stephen Corbesero wrote:
> So, the problem I reported seems to letting vinum load via rc.conf
> and the /etc/rc.d/vinum script.

Hmm, i've just been experimenting with vinum for the first time this week and
set up a small raid-5 to play with. I had been starting vinum manually after
booting so far, the few times i've rebooted. No problems.

Just an hour before reading this i'd finally added the start_vinum="YES" to my
rc.conf and rebooted.... after reading this i rushed to "vinum list"...
and ... sure enough, one of the disks from the raid-5 is now is now
"unknown". I'm pretty sure it was okay before that last reboot; though i
can't say 100% for sure.

Being inexperienced with vinum, not sure how to handle this. Reconfig?
Anyhow, though I can't say for sure the rc.conf startup is what did it... it's
an interesting coincidence. And needless to say... i've removed
start_vinum="YES" from rc.conf just in case.

Below, disk c should be /dev/ad2s1d

3 drives:
D b                     State: up       /dev/ad1s3d     A: 523/20473 MB (2%)
D a                     State: up       /dev/ad0s2d     A: 523/20473 MB (2%)
D c                     State: referenced       unknown A: 0/0 MB

1 volumes:
V raid5                 State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:         38 GB

1 plexes:
P raid5.p0           R5 State: degraded Subdisks:     3 Size:         38 GB

3 subdisks:
S raid5.p0.s0           State: up       D: a            Size:         19 GB
S raid5.p0.s1           State: up       D: b            Size:         19 GB
S raid5.p0.s2           State: crashed  D: c            Size:         19 GB

--
Tim Middleton | Cain Gang Ltd | Then suddenly, for no apparent reason, the
x at veX.net     | www.Vex.Net   | unpittying orchestra struck up a polka. -D