xorg.conf and flash

The BSD Dreamer beastie at tardisi.com
Fri Jun 7 15:05:30 UTC 2013

Some last fall, flash started asking weird in Chromium - seemed to also start
with 24...suspect its how chromium uses shared memory now?

Basically flash would render and then whiteout...scrolling the page would
force it to redraw correctly, but could whiteout immediately.  I think I've
mentioned it in passing before, but hadn't seen anything else on the list
about it.

So, I decided that maybe its a problem specific to my setup....first I played
around to see if there were flash settings to play with....had turned off
hardware acceleration long ago to solve the blue skin tone problem.  Didn't
look like there was anything else that would do anything.

Then I decided to look at my xorg.conf....after a long process of trial and
error, I found that removing the option "AllowSHMPixmaps" "True" fixed the
whiteout.  Though now when flash first renders on the screen its garbage that
looks like it might be a mash of the unexposed output from various terminals
on my desktop.  Kind of distracting, but it eventually shows right and is
usable again.

Wondering if anybody knows off hand of what parameters are good or bad that I
might look to next, otherwise...I'm inclined to just put up with this
issue...

here's what my "Screen" section looks like now:

Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Screen0"
     Device         "Card0"
     Monitor        "Monitor0"
     DefaultDepth    24
     Option         "NoLogo" "true"
     Option         "RenderAccel" "True"
     Option         "Overlay" "True"
     Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
     Option         "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
     Option         "Coolbits" "1"
     Option         "CursorShadow" "True"
     Option         "DamageEvents" "True"
     Option         "UseEvents" "True"
#    Option         "AllowSHMPixmaps" "True"
     Option         "BackingStore" "on"
     Option         "TripleBuffer" "on"
     SubSection     "Display"
         Viewport    0 0
         Depth       24
         Modes      "1920x1080"
     EndSubSection
EndSection

My xorg.conf was largely lifted from a friend's setup after he had finally
gotten X working on his system.  Who was also suffering from the same
problem, but also has 2 other computers on his desk...so had a work around :)
  Keeps telling me that I should get Mac.... speaking of which, wonder if
somebody can figure out a way to use the flash 11.7 for the Mac on FreeBSD?

--
   Name: Lawrence "The Dreamer" Chen    Call: W0LKC
  Snail: 1530 College Ave, A5          Email: beastie at tardisi.com
         Manhattan, KS 66502-2768       Blog: http://lawrencechen.net