Newbie Question - about newbie user support

Passive PROFITS passiveprofits at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 05:37:21 PDT 2008

--- Marian Hettwer <MH at kernel32.de> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> since this is -chat, a reply won't hurt :)

Well as it was almost the weekend, we'll forgive you!
:)

> christopher schrieb:
> > My main suggestion about learning would be to
> > subscribe to user group mailing lists. They tend
> > not to be as high volume as freebsd-questions, and
> > I've really had a lot of luck with my main list, a
> > Tucson, AZ, USA, unix group. They have people of
> > all flavors on there, and it gives me access to
> > non-freebsd specific resources as well. I solve
> > a lot of FreeBSD issues by searching linux
> archives.
> >

> I do completely agree with the above statement :)
> My first subscription to a freebsd mailing list was
> de-bsd-questions at de.freebsd.org
> One could say, this is the german version of
> freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> This mailing list proofed to be one of the best
> choices I ever did.
> During the years (since somewhat 1999?!) I learned a
> whole Unix flavor
> related things.
> It happened from time to time that a freebsd related
> question drifted
> of, as in, how can it be solved with other unix like
> operating systems.
> My main Unix know-how came from that list.
> And it still happens that I do read something on
> that mailinglist, where
> I think "well, this could help me at work with those
> debian boxes"
> Well, since time passes by, it's usally more like
> "ah, this can be
> achived by FreeBSD going that way" and "ah, this
> works in Solaris too"
> and then "Oh damn, this is more complicated in
> linux..." ;-)
> Anyway, point is, subscribe to a local mailinglist.

Now done.  Thanks for reiterating this advice.  I
suppose your advice along with others has made he
realise my usual strategy of subbing to the 'top' few
that look like they might be one of the places to be,
hanging out a while, and then unsubbing from those
that are too high or too low, will work here too!

-chat
-questions
-hackers (maybe; but certainly likely after a while)
-uk.freebsd

Got it! :)

> It may be helpful :)
> And for the archives: Thanks to the guys at
> de-bsd-questions@
> (especially Oliver Fromme and Bernd Walter). Very
> valuable information.
> Big plus of this german bsd mailing list. Nearly
> _no_ flamewars in those
> years since 1999.
> I would guess, like 5 flamewars in 10 years?! That's
> not that common, eh? :)

I think this is why I was a bit reticent about posting
anywhere here.  I tend to try stick to private email
discussion lists on a few subjects of interest.
Public lists can and often do, you are right, descend
to where no one is learning anything, which rather
misses the point (or me at least) of joining.

I've sort of realised, too, as this is only the second
or third time I've popped into newsgroups with a large
student/academic population, why I must smarten up my
usually far too laid back 'online-style'!! ;)

PP