what can i do with a 486?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Jan 26 18:24:22 UTC 2007

deeptech71 at gmail.com wrote:

> What is LBA? Is it related to partitioning? (btw the HDD is 200MB)

LBA is "Logical Block Addressing", a replacement for the older "Cylinder
Head Sector" (CHS) scheme of addressing data block locations on hard
disks (and some other storage media, in the case of LBA).  It was first
used in SCSI devices and later became a part of the ATA-2 standard; an
old 486 such as the one you describe is probably ATA-1.  I believe the
point a few fellows are trying to make is that during installation on a
"new system", the BIOS uses LBA; then, when you put that disk on the
486, the BIOS gets confused because it doesn't understand LBA, and
reports "missing operating system" or the like.  IANAE, but I'm pretty
sure that's what is being discussed.

On 01/18/07 17:47, you wrote:

 > 8MB RAM

That's likely the issue, although I don't remember if you've mentioned
exactly when it fails.  The installer attempts to create a memory disk
that's a good bit larger than 8MB; IIRC, with current FreeBSD versions
you can't even install on a machine with 16MB RAM - you need 20+MB or so
(which usually means 32MB must be installed).  It wouldn't get very far
at all with 8 meg of RAM.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

--
Majorities, of course, start with minorities.
		-- Robert Moses