what can i do with a 486?

deeptech71 at gmail.com deeptech71 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 22:33:37 UTC 2007

Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> deeptech71 at gmail.com wrote:
>  > 8MB RAM
>
> That's likely the issue, although I don't remember if you've mentioned
> exactly when it fails.  The installer attempts to create a memory disk
> that's a good bit larger than 8MB; IIRC, with current FreeBSD versions
> you can't even install on a machine with 16MB RAM - you need 20+MB or so
> (which usually means 32MB must be installed).  It wouldn't get very far
> at all with 8 meg of RAM.

Yes that likely explains why the FreeBSD floppies dont work (but some linux
versions work). When I install FreeBSD on a machine with 512MB RAM, then move
the HDD, the BIOS boots with the "missing OS" error. Supposedly the
installation has set the some LBA things (which the newer system perfectly
supports). After the installation, how can I change that, before moving the drive?