Suggestions please for what POP or IMAP servers to use

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Mon Dec 17 23:18:09 PST 2007

> Do you really not understand it?  I'll try one more time.  Anyone
> who writes a browser that grabs major market share has a guarenteed
> stream of cash from the root certificate authorities.  Netscape
> figured this out first, then when MS caught on, they pushed them out
> of business to grab that revenue stream.

Do you have any evidence to suggest that this revenue stream motivated MS's
browser push? I've cited quite a bit of evidence that supports other
motivations.

> > More likely, Microsoft was afraid that a portable browser could
> > become the
> > platform of the future, making the operating system on longer
> > particularly
> > important. If that was going to happen, they had better be the
> > market leader
> > in the browser business.

> Rubbish.  We have had portable browsers, we have a portable
> language (Java)
> and nothing has come of that "platform of the future" hogwash.

Nevertheless, this is what motivated Microsoft's decision. Perhaps had
Microsoft left the market alone, that would have happened. Perhaps not. But
there's quite a bit of evidence to suggest that Microsoft feared that
technologies such as the web and Java would make the OS irrelevent and acted
to protect their cash cow.

I'm not sure which of two arguments you are now making:

1) Microsoft didn't see the Netscape/Java threat to their OS at the time.

2) Microsoft did see the threat, but still acted to get root key revnue.

1 has been refuted by evidence. Many MS employees voiced precisely this
fear. As for 2, do you have any evidence this motivated anyone to do
anything?

DS