Suggestions please for what POP or IMAP servers to use

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Dec 17 22:39:47 PST 2007

That would almost certainly open MS for a lawsuit from the other
software vendor, not to mention utterly destroying the trust that
MS has worked to build up with the userbase on the windows update
process.

If everyone is worrying that Windows Update will modify some
program that was never written by MS, never installed by them,
they will turn it off.  Then viruses and spammers will have a lot
more ripe fruit and MS will have a lot of explaining to do.

There is already a huge hue and cry over "forcing" people to update
IE6 to IE7 by marking the IE7 update as an express update, so you
have to deliberately deselect it during updates.  And that is just
a MS-written program, given to the user "for free"

> > If by some miracle those millions of users were to manually add
> > those CA public keys into their root stores, Microsoft could merely
> > continue to periodically issue revokements. ;-)
>
> They could do this even to keys in Firefox, Netscape, or whatever other
> browser you use.

Those browsers do NOT use the same keystore in Windows as IE uses.
I doubt it has anything to do with worrying about MS revoking anything.

> > So now you maybe understand why Microsoft chose to crush Netscape,
> > and why they hand out IE like candy?
>
> Sorry, your argument makes no sense.

Do you really not understand it?  I'll try one more time.  Anyone
who writes a browser that grabs major market share has a guarenteed
stream of cash from the root certificate authorities.  Netscape
figured this out first, then when MS caught on, they pushed them out
of business to grab that revenue stream.

> More likely, Microsoft was afraid that a portable browser could become the
> platform of the future, making the operating system on longer particularly
> important. If that was going to happen, they had better be the
> market leader
> in the browser business.

Rubbish.  We have had portable browsers, we have a portable language (Java)
and nothing has come of that "platform of the future" hogwash.

Ted