Erroneous delivery of list e-mail (was Re: adding keyboard after reboot with no keyboard )

Yuri Grebenkin breath at unix.net
Wed Apr 11 00:00:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:37:11 -0500
Kevin Kinsey <kdk at daleco.biz> wrote:

> Steven Johnson wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am receiving your email because of a screw-up in Gmail. I have no
> > recourse
> > but to mark your email as spam and delete it.
> > Gmail has been unresponsive in correcting the problem.
> > Mr.SDJohnson at Gmail.com
> >

> Hi, Steven....
>
> It *might* be a screwup in GMail.  However, I have circumstantial
> evidence that suggests it may be otherwise.  I hate to bother you,
> but, in the interest of several people who may be affected, could
> you send the full source of an e-mail you received from the FreeBSD
> list directly to me, and not to the list?  Also, if you have some
> convincing evidence that it's GMail, are we allowed to know about it?
>
> I'd like everyone to note that I'm merely curious; this is the
> fourth person in 24 hours to say "why in the world am I getting
> these e-mails?" or "please unsubscribe me", including 2 G-mail users,
> an AIM.com/AOL user, and one who's at/near Abacus America/Aplus in
> San Diego.
>
> I'm copying postmaster@ as well, although I doubt it's his problem,
> but maybe a "heads up" would be a Good Thing(tm).  My best guess so
> far is a messed-up forwarding rule or alias/virtuser somewhere (and
> it's a big, big world), or an malicious or incompetent person with
> an axe to grind.
>
> To those of you who are receiving these messages, perhaps Mr. Johnson's
> recourse is currently your best option.  Also, please note that I am
> simply an interested individual, and do not represent the FreeBSD Project,
> G-Mail, AOL/AIM, Abacus/A+, the Teamsters/AFL/CIO, CIA/NSA, KGB, Zdnet,
> , Yahoo!, Pravda, New York Times, etc., etc.
>
> Kevin Kinsey

Haha! That's funny for sure. :)
Supposing there are not too much people who can't unsubscribe
silently there must be many more others receiving the list
accidentally. On other side, it's not a huge victim "public"
because we'd get much more complaints. Anyway, if someone will
get some clue, let me know.

Yuri Grebenkin