what can i do with a 486?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Apr 5 17:19:10 UTC 2007

deeptech71 at gmail.com wrote:
 > I've just tested dangerously dedicated mode, and it worked!
 > Next stop: it can't load the kernel (only on the 486).
 >
 > --- PART OF OUTPUT:
 > /boot/kernel/kernel text=0x51a2e4
 > readin failed
 >
 > elf32_loadimage: read failed
 > /boot/kernel/kernel text=0x51a2e4
 > readin failed
 >
 > elf32_loadimage: read failed
 > Unable to load a kernel!
 > -
 > Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or press any other key for command prompt.
 > Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]
 > can't load 'kernel'
 > Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
 > OK
 > --- END PART OF OUTPUT

I assume that you don't have enough RAM.  If I remember
correctly, your 486 machine only has 8 MB of RAM, which
is not enough to load a GENERIC kernel nowadays.  You
will have to compile a smaller kernel by removing all
things that you don't need.

Of course, you could also upgrade the RAM in that machine,
if possible.

 > I'm inputting: more /boot/kernel/kernel
 > It outputs ['?' = loads of crap]:
 >     *** FILE /boot/kernel/kernel BEGIN ***
 >      -- more --

Well, yes, a kernel is a binary file.  It doesn't make
much sense to try to view it with "more".

Best regards
   Oliver

"That's what I love about GUIs: They make simple tasks easier,
and complex tasks impossible."
        -- John William Chambless