portable audio player >= 18Gb

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 16:41:29 UTC 2006

On 8/28/06, Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de> wrote:
> soralx at cydem.org wrote:
>
> > is anyone feeling kind enough today to recommend a good mp3/ogg player? ;)
>
> AFAIK there are no good mp3/ogg players available yet,
> some are good enough though.
>
> > The basic requirement is that it should be just a standard umass device,
> > so I could upload dirs with music files onto it, and then simply tell the
> > device to play all files in a certain directory, or make some playlists
> > and play them sequentially. None of that "synchronization" or id3-database
> > crap.
> > AFAIK, the only player that has more or less usable interface (the way I
> > described) is the Cowon, model X5L. However, it'd be interesting to know
> > if there are (or will be soon) any alternatives.
>
> I know nothing about the Cowon X5L, but bought an iRiver H340 about a
> year ago. It has several flaws, but back then it was the best device
> I could find. I wouldn't be surprised if it still is.
>
> I wrote about the H340 in general at:
> http://www.fabiankeil.de/produkt-erfahrungen/iriver-h340.html
> and about using it with FreeBSD at:
> http://www.fabiankeil.de/freebsd/iriver-h340.html
> The texts are in German, you might have to run them
> through one of the website translation services.
>
> Even if you decide to get a different player,
> I strongly suggest that you get one that can boot
> Rockbox. http://www.rockbox.org/

I have a Cowon iAUDIO 5 that works well enough with FreeBSD. It shows
up on the system like a USB Flash drive would:

umass0: COWON iAUDIO 5, rev 2.00/1.10, addr 2
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <COWON iAUDIO 5 0100> Removable Direct Access SCSI-4 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 992MB (2032384 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 992C)
# mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt/usbflash0/
# umount /mnt/usbflash0/
# camcontrol eject da0
Unit stopped successfully, Media ejected

It does play ogg vorbis files but I haven't tested that feature and I
remember having to upgrade it's firmware but can't remember why. Best
of all is that it was ~$100 when I bought it and that it has voice and
3.5" in-line jack so I can record (lectures, etc.) directly to mp3
format and it has a build in FM radio.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/