portable audio player >= 18Gb

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Mon Aug 28 11:28:37 UTC 2006

soralx at cydem.org wrote:

> is anyone feeling kind enough today to recommend a good mp3/ogg player? ;)

AFAIK there are no good mp3/ogg players available yet,
some are good enough though.

> The basic requirement is that it should be just a standard umass device,
> so I could upload dirs with music files onto it, and then simply tell the
> device to play all files in a certain directory, or make some playlists
> and play them sequentially. None of that "synchronization" or id3-database
> crap.
> AFAIK, the only player that has more or less usable interface (the way I
> described) is the Cowon, model X5L. However, it'd be interesting to know
> if there are (or will be soon) any alternatives.

I know nothing about the Cowon X5L, but bought an iRiver H340 about a
year ago. It has several flaws, but back then it was the best device
I could find. I wouldn't be surprised if it still is.

I wrote about the H340 in general at:
http://www.fabiankeil.de/produkt-erfahrungen/iriver-h340.html
and about using it with FreeBSD at:
http://www.fabiankeil.de/freebsd/iriver-h340.html
The texts are in German, you might have to run them
through one of the website translation services.

Even if you decide to get a different player,
I strongly suggest that you get one that can boot
Rockbox. http://www.rockbox.org/

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/