Sun storage array question (not technical help)

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sun Jan 23 22:28:14 PST 2005

I have recently come across some hardware which was given to an
associate of mine some time ago, from a business where he worked that
was closing down. Quite a bit of the hardware is test equipment and
cryptography oriented (I'm not familiar with much of the latter). But
it appears this office ran Sun hardware and software, so there are a
number of older Sun workstations and servers, along with hubs and so
forth. I'm guessing the age of most of this equipment is late '90s or
earlier. Along with these are a few very large Sun storage arrays,
probably 3'x3'x4' in size (I'm guessing they're SCSI, but not sure).
I'm not sure if the arrays are populated, but from what this person
says at least one of them is, but I'm not overly familiar with these.
My question is, do people still use or need such hardware anymore,
particularly the arrays, considering their age? I know Sun equipment
will re-sell for some time, but I'm not at all sure what the age of
usefulness of large arrays is. I've already snagged a few Intel and
Sparc workstations to use for my home network, mostly to see if FreeBSD
will play nice with them, but if it will I'll use them. Many more are
available, as well as quite a few Sun monitors, many of them over 20".
I'm not trying to hawk stuff here, as my interest is mostly in what can
be done with such equipment, but if anyone's interested let me know, as
it's going cheap. Also, does anyone know of people who need/use
cryptographic hardware anymore?

- jt