GPL vs BSD Licence

Jeremy Faulkner gldisater at gldis.ca
Mon Oct 25 20:35:34 PDT 2004

Moved to chat@

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 07:41, Graham Bentley wrote:
> I (mis?)interpret this as follows :-
>
> If you use some BSD code in some project that you turn into
> proprietry code you just need to include the appropriate
> acknowledgement statements - but you can exclude
> anyone from using that new code / solution.

When someone releases code under the BSD license they do it in trust
that others will give back changes to the code. They do not expect nor
demand those changes back. Those changes are recognized to belong to
their author. That author can do what they please with them, just like
the original author did as he pleased with his code (released it to the
community).

> With the GPL you are explicitly giving away your right to do this
> whilst at the same time leaving a the door open for others if they
> want to use your code / solution.

With the GPL no one trusts anyone else to release their code back to the
community. It's like they're sitting in a room with pistols pointed at
each others heads trying to work together, using the force of violence
to keep each other honest. The GPL uses the force of law to do the same.
When the author of the code releases his work under the GPL he uses the
license to force the openness of any changes made to that code. I guess
it can't be considered forcing a developer to release their code if they
read and agreed to the license. Just like nobody forced anyone to remain
in the room full of pistols. But that door isn't left open for anyone to
use the code / solution, only those that are willing to sit in the room
and aim the pistol at someone. If you choose to leave the room, you must
also leave all of the work behind and start fresh. If you don't, all
those guys with pistols hunt you down. Some people may be willing to sit
in that room, while others are not.

When they give, they expect to receive. They don't give for the sake of
giving.

The same occurs with regard to Apple's involvement with the BSDs, every
now and then someone comes forward asking what Apple gave back to the
community, as if Apple were required to do so.

GPL is for freedom of the source code. BSD is for freedom of choice of
the author. I do not value the source code's freedom over my own.
--
Jeremy Faulkner <gldisater at gldis.ca>