Personal patches

Allan Bowhill abowhill at blarg.net
Tue Jan 6 16:19:23 PST 2004

On  0, "Gary W. Swearingen" <underway at comcast.net> wrote:
:Allan Bowhill <abowhill at blarg.net> writes:
:
:> On  0, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:
:>:
:>:	Prepare to be fingerprinted.
:
:> Few U.S. citizens haven't been.
:
:Now they can prepare to be DNA databased, as U.K. citizens have.
:Orwell was an optimist.
:
:I heard a new twist on it last week.  Cops want a guy's DNA and don't
:want to bother a judge to use his search warrant rubber stamp.  So
:they send the guy a letter which causes the guy to send a return
:letter.  (I forget the ruse -- a prize announcement or something.  The
:report didn't say whether it had a Police letterhead or was something
:more covert.)  So he licks the envelope and/or stamp, drops it in the
:mail, and now his DNA is in the database.  (Yes, it matched.)

Orwellian, yes. But funny.

--
Allan Bowhill
abowhill at blarg.net

There is no time like the present for postponing what you ought to be
doing.