Memory advice

Alex Zepeda zipzippy at sonic.net
Sat Dec 20 14:16:39 PST 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 08:18:32AM -0600, David Kelly wrote:

> When you order from Crucial, order from the Macintosh section. Or order
> from a Macintosh vendor such as http://www.macsales.com/

Actually, Crucial's web site is just inaccurate.  Their Mac section only
lists 66mhz SDRAM as being compatible (at least WRT timing) with the Beige
G3 (which is incorrect as I've proven by running these sticks at half
capacity).

> Also for a long time PC133 was backwards compatible with PC100 but then
> something changed and not all PC133 worked in PC100 systems.

The P6DGE does indeed support a 133mhz FSB.  According to Crucial all
PC133 ram will work at 100mhz.

As it turns out, my suspicions were probably correct.  It was a chip
density issue.  Their e-mail support claimed the latest BIOS update would
allow the high density chips to work with the P6DGE (not true), and their
phone support said that the high density sticks I had ordered were not
compatible with the P6DGE at all and I should have ordered the memory
through their memory selector.  Unfortunately for them I did order through
their selector, and their selector did not list any low density sticks.

Their web site offers no way to determine which are which.  Last time I
order from them I suppose.

- alex