Thank you for opting-in

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Dec 19 11:23:54 PST 2003

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
> I do not intend to feed any kind of troll here, but does anyone know why
> people keep signing up chat@ (and other lists) to different mailinglists?
> This has puzzled me for a while, and I cant really find any logical
> reason for it. I guess it might be an attempt to annoy people, but since
> signing up for the mailinglist probably is just as much or even more
> work then unsubscribing from it, there must be another reason.

No, you've pretty much got it.

It's some antisocial jerk with nothing better to do, trying to make
other people as miserable as he is ... not realizing that he's only
making himself more miserable in the process.

I don't know what the official policy is, but if this happened to
a mailing list that I maintained, I would require that the sites
that are attempting to subscribe provide the IP addy of the person
putting the request in, and file criminal charges for harassment.

But that's just me.

> Does anyone care to explain the logic behind this behaviour?

I don't think logic comes into play here.

This seems to happen every few months.  I guess with millions of
people online, we're bound to encounter a few who are pretty
strange.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies