BT issues

mato gamato at users.sf.net
Mon Mar 31 12:48:01 PDT 2008

Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:

>>  2) What am I trying to do ?  Well, I set up internet sharing on my home
>> laptop via BT and I can use it from my other laptop.  Now, it works when my
>> other (work) laptop runs FreeBSD.  When I boot the other laptop in to
>> Windows it asks me for PIN and then it works OK.  But when I boot in to
>> FreeBSD again I cannot connect and I have to reinitialise as explained in my
>> original email.  So to me it seems connecting from Windows somehow changes
>> stored key which is unusable for subsequent FreeBSD uses.
>>  If this explanation is not enough, I can try to capture and provide hcidump
>> for you.
>>

> 1) what is in your /etc/bluetooth/hcsecd.conf (on both freebsd machines)?
>
> 2) can you create (with hcidump -w trace) and send to me hcidump trace
> that shows the problem after you boot from windows back to freebsd?
>
> also, as i explained to you, using the same device under two different
> operating systems is a bit of a challenge. os is in charge of
> initiating "pairing" process and storing link keys. just because you
> pairing the same two devices does not mean that you will get the same
> link key every time. as i explained to you, the best way to make it
> work is to make sure link key is shared between both oses.
>
> thanks,
> max

1)

my home computer (the one with the internet connection) has:

device {
        bdaddr  00:09:dd:50:0f:0a;
        name    "Mato Edimax";
        key     nokey;
        pin     "1234";
}

my work computer has:

device {
        bdaddr  00:16:41:12:09:53;
        name    "Mato D820";
        key     nokey;
        pin     "1234";
}

Well, actually I've got the same hcsecd.conf with all the entries in
both computers.

2)

Just to be sure -- on which computer to run hcidump ?

I do not know how to share link keys between FreeBSD and Windows.  Also,
as explained in my previous email, there are situations when sharing a
link key is not a choice.
However, Windows can manage this as it asks for PIN key when connection
initiation fails.  While I don't expect FreeBSD asking for a PIN, it
might be quite useful if it could automatically (upon a connection
establishing failure) throw away its stored link key and recreate it
from PIN as Windows does.  This would definitely help as it is basically
what I have to do manually after each Windows run (that is to say ..
stop hcsecd, rm hcsecd.keys, start hcsecd).

With regards,

Martin