BT issues

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 10:38:57 PDT 2008

Hello,

[...]

>  1)  I did'n know it.  Thanks for your explanation.  I used it the same way
> only I ran rfcomm_pppd manually.  And btw will the provided rc.d script be
> included in FreeBSD ?

eventually :) i want do give some time to people to try it and give feedback.

>  2) What am I trying to do ?  Well, I set up internet sharing on my home
> laptop via BT and I can use it from my other laptop.  Now, it works when my
> other (work) laptop runs FreeBSD.  When I boot the other laptop in to
> Windows it asks me for PIN and then it works OK.  But when I boot in to
> FreeBSD again I cannot connect and I have to reinitialise as explained in my
> original email.  So to me it seems connecting from Windows somehow changes
> stored key which is unusable for subsequent FreeBSD uses.
>  If this explanation is not enough, I can try to capture and provide hcidump
> for you.

1) what is in your /etc/bluetooth/hcsecd.conf (on both freebsd machines)?

2) can you create (with hcidump -w trace) and send to me hcidump trace
that shows the problem after you boot from windows back to freebsd?

also, as i explained to you, using the same device under two different
operating systems is a bit of a challenge. os is in charge of
initiating "pairing" process and storing link keys. just because you
pairing the same two devices does not mean that you will get the same
link key every time. as i explained to you, the best way to make it
work is to make sure link key is shared between both oses.

thanks,
max