Modem to send/receive faxes

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 16:56:30 UTC 2007

On 3/26/07, ml-vic <ml-vic at de-martino.it> wrote:
> I'm trying to send faxes by means of a bluetooth connection between my PC and
> my cell phone.
> Because hylafax needs a modem that is a serial port to send/receive faxes I
> tried and succeded with
>
> rfcomm_sppd -a my_BT_ADDR  -t /dev/ttyp3
>
> and, as requested by hylafax,  I was able to connect to it
>
> cu -l ttyp3
>
> But I was unable to send any AT command thru it.
>
> Could someone out there clarify this point to this almost absolute beginner
> suggesting, step by step what I shall do?

you might need to set tty into "raw" mode. depending on freebsd
version rfcomm_sppd will or will not do that.

you could try to use ppp in interacative mode, i.e. add

set device '!/usr/bin/rfcomm_sppd -a my_BT_ADDR'

to you ppp.conf, then start ppp and do 'term'  command.

also, be aware that many cell provides will block faxes.

thanks,
max