tomtom serial connection

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 19:20:03 UTC 2007

On 4/17/07, Vittorio De Martino <vittorio at de-martino.it> wrote:

> Il Thursday 12 April 2007 00:30:15 Maksim Yevmenkin ha scritto:
> > On 4/11/07, Vittorio De Martino <vittorio at de-martino.it> wrote:
> > > <To Maksim>:
> > > Yes, I can smoothly pair the tomtom gps to my nokia cellular phone e61.
> > > No pin is required. The connection via umts is required from time to time
> > > by the tomtom site to pdate traffic news .
> > > </To Maksim>
> >
> > did you try to pair your tomtom gps with your pc?
>
> Yes, it works but no services seem to be available.
> > > I tried the following but  SP doesn't seem to exist
> > >
> > > victor$ sudo l2ping -a tomtom
> > > 44 bytes from tomtom seq_no=0 time=246.214 ms result=0
> > > 44 bytes from tomtom seq_no=1 time=28.889 ms result=0
> > > 44 bytes from tomtom seq_no=2 time=31.084 ms result=0
> >
> > ??? l2ping has nothing to do with sp, just tells you that remote side
> > answers l2cap, but we already know this, because sdpcontrol returns
> > stuff.
> >
> > > victor$ sudo sdpcontrol -a tomtom search sp
> > > victor$
> >
> > ok, stupid question, is your tomtom a complete unit with screen and
> > buttons, etc. or just a standalone bluetooth gps receiver with no user
> > interface at all?
> Yes of course, it's a complete device. The name is "TomTom ONE Europe v.2".
> Plenty of pictures in the internet!

ok. in this case i have to ask what exactly are you trying to do?

1) are you trying to get raw gps data out of your tomtom device?

or

2) are you trying to make your tomtom device use your computer's
internet connection (for tomtom plus services) instead of your cell
phone gprs connection?

> Look at http://opentom.org/ for some interesting info

ok, so from what i can see standalone tomtom units can do bluetooth
hands free, send and receive sms and manage contact lists. there is
also something called tomtom plus which is a real time information
about traffic, weather etc.

> > could you please provide model number for your tomtom device?
> >
> > can you force your tomtom gps into pairing mode and then try
> > 'sdpcontrol -a tomtom search sp'?
> As  a matter of fact there's only a procedure in the tomtom to connect to a
> cellular gprs phone via BT. You do not have any other option to control the
> BT device of your tomtom. Nopin is required.

well, yes. that's obviously for "dialing out" via gprs using your cell
phone as modem (i.e. for tomtom plus). in other words tomtom is a
client and cell phone is a server.

thanks,
max