Support for Bluetooth Keyboards?

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at savvis.net
Mon Nov 27 10:51:00 PST 2006

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 00:54 +0100, Jona Joachim wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I wanted to know if Bluetooth keyboards are likely to work on FreeBSD.
>> I'm looking at this marvellous object to be precise:
>> http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/
>>
>> They say that they "were able to get the Bluetooth Virtual Laser
>> Keyboard to work with Mac OSX using the built-in bluetooth support in
>> the OS."

then it should work in releng_6 and -current.

> I am running Apple Bluetooth keyboard on -CURRENT. I order to accomplish
> that, I have followed steps outlined by Eric Anderson here
>
> http://destari.blogspot.com/2006/01/setting-up-bluetooth-mouse-on-freebsd.html
>
> There seems to be a quirk in the bthidd which causes it reattach
> keyboard every couple of minutes, so I am accustomed to seeing vkbd
>> 10000 being attached but these seem to be harmless enough. YMMV,
> though.

hmmm... i'd like to get more information on this. does this happen when
you type on the keyboard? or when keyboard is idle?

if this happens when the keyboard is idle, then, i'd guess, the keyboard
simply kills the bluetooth connection to conserve battery. if bluetooth
connection was in fact killed then bthidd(8) will close vkbd(4) device
and it will, in turn, detach vkbd(4) keyboard.

in any case, could you please get an hci dump (binary) when this happens
and sent it to me? or could you please tell me how to reproduce this
locally?

thanks,
max