Any good alternative to Raspberry for Arm64?

Klaus Küchemann maciphone2 at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 30 22:30:10 UTC 2021

> Am 30.03.2021 um 20:43 schrieb Philipp Klaus Krause <pkk at spth.de>:
>
> Am 30.03.21 um 16:39 schrieb Dan Kotowski:
>>
>> SolidRun's Honeycomb (HC), built around NXP's LX2K SoC, is pretty phenomenal. Firmware still has a few changes in the works, but it's mostly cosmetic stuff at this point and I've been happily daily-driving mine for about a month - yes, it sufficiently replaced my aging desktop built around a Core i7-3770K! In fact, there's a handful of us using HCs as FreeBSD-13.0 desktops now.
>>
>> However:
>> * no built-in GPU, so if you want a desktop you'll need to get one of those and that'll eat up your x8 slot
>> * no onboard NIC drivers because they're connected via DPAA2 which we don't have any support for and I just don't have the time or expertise to write those myself :
>>

> Would running Debian GNU/Linux as host OS with FreeBSD guest in qemu/kvm
> be a workaorund for the missing network support?
>
> Philipp

to replace RJ45 Gbe you can simply plug an $10 uSB->Gbe-Dongle ,
`guess SFP+ would need more special driver-attention ...
from quick reading around the web I guess the DPAA2 also needs a closed source binary blob.
they support both edkII & u-boot :
https://github.com/SolidRun/lx2160a_build

As a potential buyer I simply would send  an email to SolidRun  with those questions,
they want to sell, so why they shouldn’t provide support?
You could report the answer here and then it were possible to estimate if that’s(sfp+) portable to fbsd.

There’s also a 24-core A53 -board from 96boards:
https://www.96boards.org/product/developerbox/
Same as with the lx2k: I don’t own, so no clue what works or not…

> Am 30.03.2021 um 16:39 schrieb Dan Kotowski <dan.kotowski at a9development.com>:
>
> * no built-in GPU, so if you want a desktop you'll need to get one of those and that'll eat up your x8 slot

in such or other cases I would use Xvnc ( https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=Xvnc&sektion=1&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7.2-RELEASE+and+Ports <https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=Xvnc&sektion=1&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7.2-RELEASE+and+Ports> )
 for basic desktop-usage( 10 open shells the same time or so ) ….
It’s real fun to have e.g. a wireless remote-desktop on the iPad sent from a headless system and switching from xterm to xterm with an Apple Pencil  :-)

K.