Any good alternative to Raspberry for Arm64?

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Mon Mar 29 00:36:25 UTC 2021

On March 28, 2021 11:44:25 PM UTC, Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> wrote:
>On 2021-Mar-28, at 15:52, Marcin Wojtas <mw at semihalf.com> wrote:
>
>> H Mark,
>>
>> niedz., 28 mar 2021 o 22:15 Mark Millard via freebsd-arm
>> <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> napisał(a):

>>> As reported on the list earlier, I plugged a Optane 480 GiByte
>>> into a MACCHIATObin Double Shot's PCIe in a system that's microsd
>>> card had the EDK2-variant build from:
>>>
>>> https://unrelentingtech.s3.dualstack.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/flash-image-2020-07-01-mainline-tfa.bin
>>>
>>> and the system just worked (/dev/nda0). I updated the FreeBSD in
>>> this configuration and that booted too.
>>>
>>> (The Optane was originally initialized while in a amd64 system
>>> and so was boot-ready when first plugged into an aarch64.)
>>>
>>> This is not the MACCHIATObin's normal configuration and things
>>> were put back to normal after the experiment.
>>>
>>> The MACCHIATObin Double Shot has 4 Cortex-A72 cores.
>>>

>> MacchiatoBin has fully opensource firmware, with the mainline
>> edk2/TF-A one can boot FreeBSD with DT or ACPI. The referenced image
>> from Greg should also be fine. The only significant interface missing
>> is the built-in PP2 NIC.

Interestingly, OpenBSD already has a mvpp2 driver. I don't really have the motivation to port it right now, but hey, someone could…

>My memory was that there was some issue of "legacy"
>PCIe devices showing up as duplicated and some change
>was put in that avoided that --but prevented "modern"
>PCIe devices from working. As I remember, disabling
>the change was one reason Greg created his variant:
>upstream choose which type of devices it wanted to
>support and Greg went the other way. (No one has
>support covering both contexts on the MACCHIATObin
>Double Short?)

Last thing I remember, Marcin promised to make a setup menu toggle for the offset ;)

> removal of a headless flag in FADT

I don't know if that even affects anything, I probably just copied the change from somewhere, but I like it out of a pure desire for correctness.

>There were also edk2 additions of 3 lines
>involving something like:
>
>MdeModulePkg/Bus/Pci/NvmExpressDxe/NvmExpressDxe.inf

This might've happened upstream too by now, but yes, this is necessary to boot from NVMe.