RPi and powerd, was: Re: RPI4 clock speeds and serial port ( temperatures idle and -j4 buildworld buildkernel )

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 26 20:00:36 UTC 2021

On 2021-Mar-26, at 01:33, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2021-Mar-25, at 18:18, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> [Eliminating bad history and replacing with test
>> information from corrected context, just -j6 for
>> now.]
>>
>> On 2021-Mar-25, at 10:59, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> [Turns out I somehow ended up with /etc/rc.conf not edited
>>> to enable powerd : that is what I found when I went back
>>> to disable it. Now I get to re-run the tests.]

>> Based on the later results reported, I get a build that
>> takes a little less time for buildworld+buildkernel, a
>> build that does not involve devel/ccache .
>>
>> So it could be that devel/cache had an empty cache for
>> your build for all I can tell from the timing information.

>>> I get to retry, attempting to actually do what I said
>>> I'd done for powerd enabling . . . I've rebooted and
>>> verified powerd now shows with the appropriate command
>>> line in top. So I've cleared things out in
>>> /usr/obj/cortexA72_clang/ and started a -j6 experiment
>>> as the first one.

>> With powerd actually enabled ("-r 1") this time . . .
>>
>> -j6 summary: Overall somewhat under 9 hrs historically
>> for -j4 in my non-powerd configuration turned into
>> somewhat under 6 hrs 45 min for -j6 in the test powerd
>> configuration, somewhat over 2 hr 10 min faster.
>>
>> I plan on a -j4 test in the context as well.
>
> -j4 summary: somewhat under 6 hrs 45 min for -j4 in the
> powerd configuration but just a little longer than -j6 .
> In more detail: a little over 4 min longer than -j6 .
>
> I plan on a -j4 build without the vfs.read_max=128
> as the next test of a related context.

-j4 without vfs.read_max=128 summary: somwhat under
6 hrs 50 min total for the powerd configuration.
In more detail: a little over 7 min longer than -j6
with vfs.read_max=128 took.

I plan on a non-powerd test but with force_turbo=1
in config.txt (but not arm_freq_min) for -j4
without vfs.read_max=128. So config.txt will have
for overclocking:

over_voltage=6
arm_freq=2000
sdram_freq_min=3200
force_turbo=1

In /etc/sysctl.conf it will use:

dev.cpu.0.freq=2000

(Although that might not be necessary.)

I'll note that one of the RPi
engineers/forum-monitors reported in a reply
that they do not set the overclock warranty bit
for RPi4s, allowing experimenting with over_voltage
and force_turbo together. See:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=283911&p=1719405

> [...]
>>
>> So a few minutes under 9 hr total for my
>> normal configuration.
>>
>> By contrast, for the -j6 powerd configuration in this
>> experiment:
>>
>> World build completed on Thu Mar 25 16:52:56 PDT 2021
>> World built in 22324 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j6
>> Kernel build for GENERIC-NODBG completed on Thu Mar 25 17:21:16 PDT 2021
>> Kernel(s)  GENERIC-NODBG built in 1700 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j6
>>
>> So somewhat under 6 hrs 45 min. Nice!
>> (It is a little bit faster than the total for
>> the build times that you reported.)
>>
>> Interestingly, after the build and some idle time
>> I see no evidence of the CPUs being slowed down:
>>
>> # sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
>> dev.cpu.0.freq: 2000
>>
>> # sysctl hw.cpufreq.arm_freq
>> hw.cpufreq.arm_freq: 2000000000
>>
>> For reference: the cpu's had definitely cooled
>> (from the low 50C's range):
>>
>> # sysctl hw.cpufreq.temperature
>> hw.cpufreq.temperature: 37447
>>
>> # sysctl dev.cpu.0.temperature
>> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 36.4C
>>
>> Also:
>>
>> # sysctl dev.bcm2835_cpufreq.0.freq_settings
>> dev.bcm2835_cpufreq.0.freq_settings: 2000/-1 600/-1
>>
>> # sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq_levels
>> dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 2000/-1 600/-1
>>
>> [Fedora gives a much longer list (in other
>> units) when the minimum is not forced:
>> int f over 6<=f<=20: (f*100)*1MHz . But, as
>> I remember, other linux OS's gave an even
>> different list. Seems to be a choice as to
>> what possibilities to expose of many
>> that can be set up.]
>>
>> I note that sysctl reports:
>>
>> # sysctl hw.cpufreq.turbo
>> hw.cpufreq.turbo: 1
>>
>> I'm not sure of the value that shows up in in my normal
>> configuration but I do not explicitly set it in any
>> configuration.
>>

>> FYI: my modified version of top reported Maximum
>> Observed for Active+Wired of: 3468Mi MaxObs(Act+Wir),
>> suggesting that a 4 GiByte RPi4B might be a little
>> constrained at some point(s) in the build by the more
>> limited RAM and 2 GiByte RPi4B's or less would be
>> constrained for sure.
>>

> The -j4 details . . .
> (builds are via a EtherNet ssh session)
> (I reboot before testing)
>
> World build completed on Fri Mar 26 00:44:13 PDT 2021
> World built in 22552 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j4
> Kernel build for GENERIC-NODBG completed on Fri Mar 26 01:12:48 PDT 2021
> Kernel(s)  GENERIC-NODBG built in 1715 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j4
>
> So somewhat under 6 hrs 45 min. Nice!
> (It is a little bit faster than the total for
> the build times that you reported.)
>
> The sysctl value information is similar to what it
> was for -j16, not repeated here.
>
> FYI: my modified version of top reported Maximum
> Observed for Active+Wired of: 2589Mi MaxObs(Act+Wir),
> suggesting that a 2 GiByte RPi4B would be somewhat
> constrained at some point(s) in the build by the more
> limited RAM but a 4 GiByte one would not. (Memory use

The -j4 without vfs.read_max=128 details . . .
(builds are via a EtherNet ssh session)
(I reboot before testing, first doing rm -fr /usr/obj/cortexA72_clang/* )
(USB3 SSD media)

World build completed on Fri Mar 26 08:25:00 PDT 2021
World built in 22738 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j4
Kernel build for GENERIC-NODBG completed on Fri Mar 26 08:53:31 PDT 2021
Kernel(s)  GENERIC-NODBG built in 1711 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j4

So somewhat under 6 hr 50 min.

FYI: my modified version of top reported Maximum
Observed for Active+Wired of: 2920Mi MaxObs(Act+Wir),
indicating that a 2 GiByte RPi4B would be somewhat
constrained at some point(s) in the build by the more
limited RAM but a 4 GiByte one would not. This is
somewhat more than -j4 with vfs.read_max=128 used.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went