RPi and powerd, was: Re: RPI4 clock speeds and serial port ( temperatures idle and -j4 buildworld buildkernel )

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 26 08:33:40 UTC 2021

On 2021-Mar-25, at 18:18, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [Eliminating bad history and replacing with test
> information from corrected context, just -j6 for
> now.]
>
> On 2021-Mar-25, at 10:59, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> [Turns out I somehow ended up with /etc/rc.conf not edited
>> to enable powerd : that is what I found when I went back
>> to disable it. Now I get to re-run the tests.]

> Based on the later results reported, I get a build that
> takes a little less time for buildworld+buildkernel, a
> build that does not involve devel/ccache .
>
> So it could be that devel/cache had an empty cache for
> your build for all I can tell from the timing information.

>> I get to retry, attempting to actually do what I said
>> I'd done for powerd enabling . . . I've rebooted and
>> verified powerd now shows with the appropriate command
>> line in top. So I've cleared things out in
>> /usr/obj/cortexA72_clang/ and started a -j6 experiment
>> as the first one.

> With powerd actually enabled ("-r 1") this time . . .
>
> -j6 summary: Overall somewhat under 9 hrs historically
> for -j4 in my non-powerd configuration turned into
> somewhat under 6 hrs 45 min for -j6 in the test powerd
> configuration, somewhat over 2 hr 10 min faster.
>
> I plan on a -j4 test in the context as well.

-j4 summary: somewhat under 6 hrs 45 min for -j4 in the
powerd configuration but just a little longer than -j6 .
In more detail: a little over 4 min longer than -j6 .

I plan on a -j4 build without the vfs.read_max=128
as the next test of a related context.

> The -j6 details . . .
> (builds are via a EtherNet ssh session)
>
> First a reminder of the prior timing that I
> reported for my normal configuration of my
> normal -j4 buildworld buildkernel in my
> usual overclocking style:
>
> World build completed on Thu Mar 11 18:39:37 PST 2021
> World built in 29780 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j4
> Kernel build for GENERIC-NODBG completed on Thu Mar 11 19:18:02 PST 2021
> Kernel(s)  GENERIC-NODBG built in 2305 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j4
>
> So a few minutes under 9 hr total for my
> normal configuration.
>
> By contrast, for the -j6 powerd configuration in this
> experiment:
>
> World build completed on Thu Mar 25 16:52:56 PDT 2021
> World built in 22324 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j6
> Kernel build for GENERIC-NODBG completed on Thu Mar 25 17:21:16 PDT 2021
> Kernel(s)  GENERIC-NODBG built in 1700 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j6
>
> So somewhat under 6 hrs 45 min. Nice!
> (It is a little bit faster than the total for
> the build times that you reported.)
>
> Interestingly, after the build and some idle time
> I see no evidence of the CPUs being slowed down:
>
> # sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
> dev.cpu.0.freq: 2000
>
> # sysctl hw.cpufreq.arm_freq
> hw.cpufreq.arm_freq: 2000000000
>
> For reference: the cpu's had definitely cooled
> (from the low 50C's range):
>
> # sysctl hw.cpufreq.temperature
> hw.cpufreq.temperature: 37447
>
> # sysctl dev.cpu.0.temperature
> dev.cpu.0.temperature: 36.4C
>
> Also:
>
> # sysctl dev.bcm2835_cpufreq.0.freq_settings
> dev.bcm2835_cpufreq.0.freq_settings: 2000/-1 600/-1
>
> # sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq_levels
> dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 2000/-1 600/-1
>
> [Fedora gives a much longer list (in other
> units) when the minimum is not forced:
> int f over 6<=f<=20: (f*100)*1MHz . But, as
> I remember, other linux OS's gave an even
> different list. Seems to be a choice as to
> what possibilities to expose of many
> that can be set up.]
>
> I note that sysctl reports:
>
> # sysctl hw.cpufreq.turbo
> hw.cpufreq.turbo: 1
>
> I'm not sure of the value that shows up in in my normal
> configuration but I do not explicitly set it in any
> configuration.
>

> FYI: my modified version of top reported Maximum
> Observed for Active+Wired of: 3468Mi MaxObs(Act+Wir),
> suggesting that a 4 GiByte RPi4B might be a little
> constrained at some point(s) in the build by the more
> limited RAM and 2 GiByte RPi4B's or less would be
> constrained for sure.

The -j4 details . . .
(builds are via a EtherNet ssh session)
(I reboot before testing)

World build completed on Fri Mar 26 00:44:13 PDT 2021
World built in 22552 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j4
Kernel build for GENERIC-NODBG completed on Fri Mar 26 01:12:48 PDT 2021
Kernel(s)  GENERIC-NODBG built in 1715 seconds, ncpu: 4, make -j4

So somewhat under 6 hrs 45 min. Nice!
(It is a little bit faster than the total for
the build times that you reported.)

The sysctl value information is similar to what it
was for -j16, not repeated here.

FYI: my modified version of top reported Maximum
Observed for Active+Wired of: 2589Mi MaxObs(Act+Wir),
suggesting that a 2 GiByte RPi4B would be somewhat
constrained at some point(s) in the build by the more
limited RAM but a 4 GiByte one would not. (Memory use
is a -j4 vs -j6 tradeoff.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com