what wlan driver to use on a 3 yr.old Pi3B?

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Thu Mar 11 11:18:37 UTC 2021

> Sorry, I know this must be 10 steps backwards for most of you.
> I just downloaded and burned to SDHC the new RPi3 12.2-Release and was so happy to see it "wake up"! but I have been trying for hours to get wifi up on it. I even resorted to plugging in 2 external wifi dongles, neither one of which i ever made work. but at least i found rtwn drivers in /boot/kernel. i know the wifi function is woven into the bluetooth controller, but I saw no fathomable (by me) connection to a driver.
>  I need help, Please. direct answers as to the driver name, links to places to read, whatever anybody is willing to share!

I have successfully used run(4) and rtwn(4) devices on a RPI3B,
you probably need to do one of:

kldload if_run
or
kldload if_rtwn_usb

The see if you have any wlan devices:

sysctl net.wlan.devices

If you do then see if you can create an interfaces:
ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev run0 up
or
ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev rtwn0 up

If you get to that stage you should hopefully
be able to do the /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
modes to get you on a network.. if not reach
back and I can help you get that done....

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org