RPi4 Status and xorg behavior

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 21:39:28 UTC 2021

On 2021-Mar-8, at 13:11, Klaus Küchemann <maciphone2 at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Am 08.03.2021 um 21:53 schrieb Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org>:
>>

>> My main context does not have the config.txt line:
>>
>> hdmi_safe=1
>>
>> and if I comment it out on 13.0-RC1:
>>
>> #hdmi_safe=1
>>
>> and then boot again I end up with the same as my
>> main enviroment was showing instead of the huge
>> font showing.
>

> Ah, very good catch !!!!
>

>> Am 08.03.2021 um 21:53 schrieb Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org>:
>
>> At 1920 x 1200 the 75 rows and 240 columns makes more sense vs. 1920 x 1080.
>
> Without X-acceleration- driver we anyway cannot choose inside  framebuffer..
>

> I go for eat a German Currywurst  now, `ll come back in 1 or 2 hours or so..
> I`ll upload my fw-combintion/fixes inside  the keyboard bug report tonight…
> So everybody can choose what works …
> anyway  for me personally never had a problem with the RPI4 from day 1 with the 1st CPU-hack in src…

> … and for your message came in 5 seconds ago:
> Yes: large font @boot, has of course nothing to do with X11 but looks better with better firmware..

Yes it does as I understand things: the huge font is really
because the pixel counts for x and Y are set small and pixel
replication is in use to get to the actual pixels
in useon the display.

Without the hdmi_safe=1 (when such works), the pixel counts
are accurate and scaling is normal, including in X11 and
such, if I understand correctly. (Not that I've tested such.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went