RPi4 Status and sysutils/rpi-firmware (and rng)

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Sun Mar 7 02:16:26 UTC 2021

On Sat, Mar 06, 2021 at 03:14:46PM -0800, Mark Millard via freebsd-arm wrote:
> bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net wrote on
> Sat Mar 6 17:38:40 UTC 2021 :

> > > You are welcome. Thanks for doing the work!

> > > --
> >
> > Any hint when a bootable snapshot image might become available?
> > The target host is an 8GB Pi4 without a serial console, so it's
> > limited to USB keyboard and HDMI console, no wired ethernet.
>
> Are you picky about debug-builds ( main [so 14] ) vs. non-debug
> builds ( stable/13 or releng/13.0 based )?

Nope.

> Also, are you picky about sysutils/rpi-firmware already being
> up to date in what you get vs. your having to replace the files
> with files from a recent sysutils/rpi-firmware build?

Not at all.
> Technically I've no clue how to know what sysutils/rpi-firmware
> vintage or sysutils/u-boot-rpi4-arm64 vintage would be used in
> future builds on the FreeBSD build servers. The FreeBSD commit
> hash/id does not identify that information in any way that I
> know of. For past builds, as far as I know one must examine the
> files contained and back trace the vintage that they came from.
> Nothing reports what it takes to reproduce the context that I
> know of. Such points seem to be involved for all media-builds
> that have sysutils/* materials providing some the media content.

The git versioning scheme does seem to leave us with a raging
case of chicken-vs-egg syndrome. An imperfect solution would
be an improvement over the status quo.

But, blind optimism triumphed over hard-earned experience,
at least in this case 8-)

Herb's advice worked, by combining the most recent Pi4 snapshot
with the msdos files in the link provided in Manu's post:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware
I probably wasn't efficient about it, simply overwriting everything
that looked obviously relevant (and expecting to break something
like the path to the kernel) but it worked.

The HDMI console text is too big, but the keyboard works and top
seems to see all 8 GB of RAM. Didn't think to check the mouse 8-(

Alas, with no wired ethernet at the location I can't do much
as-is. However, it does motivate me to consider a second Pi4
to be placed in my private "data center". Altogether it is a
large step forward.

Many thanks for all your help!

bob prohaska