RPi4B: modern firmware vs. Device tree loaded to 0x4000 (size 0xbe0c) [fails] vs. to 0x1f0000 (size 0xbd90) [works]?

Klaus Cucinauomo maciphone2 at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 11 20:12:09 UTC 2020

> Am 11.10.2020 um 22:02 schrieb Klaus Cucinauomo <maciphone2 at googlemail.com>:
>

>> Am 11.10.2020 um 21:53 schrieb Robert Crowston <crowston at protonmail.com>:
>>
>> What problem does it cause?
>>
>> You’ve described it as incompatible, but what does that mean? If it isn’t used, why did the RPi foundation update the armstub source code only 3 days ago?
>>
>>    — RHC.
>
> to be honest: I also asked myselfwhy the update the armstubs if they’re no more needed and 'arm_64bit=1' is enough :-)
> ( Ubuntu from the official RPI-imager-tool doesn’t have no more armstubs inside(and afaik gentoo also removed it)…
> At least our armstub is incompatible with the latest firmware… so it seems relatively new that arnstubs can be removed..
>
> Regards
> K.

Ah, forgot to answer what problem it causes:
It causes an unresponsive  rainbow-screen on hdmi and on console
we can only see the uart_2ndstage=1 - output(then it hangs), maybe you JTAG-machine knows more …
But it’s official, that armstub-gic.bin is no more needed to boot 64bit(only for older firmware needed)

K.