RPi4B: modern firmware vs. Device tree loaded to 0x4000 (size 0xbe0c) [fails] vs. to 0x1f0000 (size 0xbd90) [works]?

Klaus Cucinauomo maciphone2 at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 11 19:06:32 UTC 2020

> Am 11.10.2020 um 17:50 schrieb Robert Crowston <crowston at protonmail.com>:
> …….
> I am surprised that you can boot without the armstub. Can you post the dmesg?
> …..

The absolute latest rpi-FW-master is only "bootable" without armstub and only with the 4GB-model (8GB will need extra-patch)
and only until 'No PSCI/SMCCC call function found ,it was the dmesg I had sent :
https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=5702
(In the dmesg-uart_2ndstage=1-output you can see that there’s no armstub loaded)

> Am 11.10.2020 um 18:05 schrieb Kyle Evans <kevans at freebsd.org>:
> …..
> mmel@ has mentioned that it may not be terribly hard to implement this
> with spin tables instead. …

sounds good !

> Am 11.10.2020 um 19:01 schrieb Robert Crowston <crowston at protonmail.com>:
> …….
> I upgraded to the latest (head) version of u-boot. Now when I try to boot, I get stuck in malloc(). Anyone else see this?

Did you exclude armstub from msdos-part ?
Is it the 4GB(with VL805-fw-chip)?
If it`s the 8GB :
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-pci/patch/20200629161845.6021-4-nsaenzjulienne@suse.de/
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-pci/patch/20200629161845.6021-5-nsaenzjulienne@suse.de/

> Snipped...
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> switch to partitions #0, OK
> mmc0 is current device
should not be  mmc0 if you boot from USB/SSD

Regards
K.