arm64 as Tier 1 for FreeBSD 13

Klaus Küchemann maciphone2 at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 30 05:08:58 UTC 2020

> Am 30.01.2020 um 05:37 schrieb Mike Karels <mike at karels.net>:
>

> On 2020-01-29 21:21, Klaus Küchemann via freebsd-arm wrote:
>>> Am 29.01.2020 um 22:51 schrieb Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com>:
>>>
>>> …..  manpower...
>>>
>>> Warner
>> With me RPI4 survived a make- j4 buildworld buildkernel with only few problems(had to increase sizeof  /tmp-folder)...
>> directly on uSD, mounted as root.
>> Well , after trying to boot to  GENERIC-MMCCAM it actually hangs
>> ……...
>
> Which OS did you do the buildworld on?  I am running FreeBSD on an RPi 4, but not a lot is supported so far (no USB, no Ethernet).
>
>         Mike

I successfully did buildworld buildkernel (-j4) on fbsd-13-current (directly booted from SD-card ) .
If you’ve even prepared your RPI4 to boot fbsd13 you’ve made the most copyTO-SDcard - work already…
 you just have to mount the sd-card -fbsd-root-filesystem on a network capable fbsd-machine and checkout src-head to /usr/src,
then  put the SD-card back  into the RPI4 and compile… perhaps increase /tmp from 50 to something bigger before...
True, there’s no USB/Ethernet but that will perhaps follow soon because Evans, Crowston, Losh, evadot and so on
made a real good programming-job on the RPI4, they just don't know it yet because they didn’t glue all components :-)
The machine runs very stable(totally surprise for me) and a lot of good code is already in src or ready to land there . So
there`s hope for this crappy - amateur-board ;-) lol

Regards
Klaus