arm64 as Tier 1 for FreeBSD 13

Klaus Küchemann maciphone2 at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 30 03:21:23 UTC 2020

> Am 29.01.2020 um 22:51 schrieb Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com>:
>
> …..  manpower...
>
> Warner
From my personal view the RPI-thing is overrated ,
it’s just another 4-core.. and if you ever made e.g.
a -j16 buildworld buildkernel in 90 minutes or so  on aarch64 : you won’t
expect the big revolution in computing from this RPI-gadget. :-)

but it doesn't look that bad for fbsd on RPI4 ( e.g. better than on Rock960 which causes u-boot-issues(only openbsd runs on it via the stock firmware):
With me RPI4 survived a make- j4 buildworld buildkernel with only few problems(had to increase sizeof  /tmp-folder)...
directly on uSD, mounted as root.
Well , after trying to boot to  GENERIC-MMCCAM it actually hangs
@ mountroot ... something like this should be implemented :
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15955
, I guess it will then no problem to first get network from proprietary brcmfmac-driver
(because I had no problem doing that in netbsd with their SDIO-implementation).
Another question is if using the proprietary Broadcom-drivers will be an accepted way to go,
But why not , RPI wouldn’t boot fbsd without those drivers and  WIFI is even prepared in src :
( /usr.bin/sdiotool/sdiotool.c ) ..

Well,of course manpower is a problem(e.g. I’m too tired tonight to write code :-)
—
Regards
Klaus