Never mind (was: cups package?)

George Mitchell george+freebsd at m5p.com
Tue Jan 21 22:43:09 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-21 10:02, George Mitchell wrote:
> I'm running 11.2-RELEASE on my ancient Raspberry Pi.  I recently
> deleted the cups package (because I hate CUPS and it's a pain to
> type /usr/bin/lpr all the time to get the right lpr).  Then I did
> a pkg upgrade which did lots of good updates with no problem --
> including ghostscript9-agpl-base.  (ghostscript9-agpl-base was
> last updated on January 17.)  Unfortunately, ghostscript9-agpl-base
> as packaged depends on libcups.so.2 libcupsimage.so.2.  But I
> can't reinstall cups because it is not found in the current package
> repository.  Isn't it wrong that the official repo should have an
> unsatisfied dependency, other than as a transitory problem?  Help!
> -- George

So I bit the bullet, set ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM=1, NFS-mounted a
/usr/ports tree, set up swap on a local USB disk (which ironically
was not used), and compiled ghostscript without CUPS.  Much to my
surprise, it took only six hours, and my problem is now solved.

So to update to 11.3-RELEASE, do I have to do a source upgrade?
freebsd-update appears not to work (3 mirrors found, fetching public
key failed three times).                                  -- George