Raspberry Pi 3 Network Boot

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net
Mon Jan 15 18:35:40 UTC 2018

> Hi. I'm looking to boot an RPi3 over the network. Has anyone here done
> that successfully?

Yes, but not booting FreeBSD over the network.  I was able to boot
one of the linux distro's, I think raspbian, over the network
serving files from FreeBSD via nfs.

It takes a special string in isc-dhcpd to get it to accept dhcp info:
# here I give it the very creative name "option-43"
        option option-43  code  43 = text;

host rpi3 {
        hardware ethernet  b8:27:eb:94:9a:f6;
        option option-43 "Raspberry Pi Boot";
}

> I managed to netboot into loader.efi using an updated U-boot (2018.01)
> after doing some terrible hacks in U-boot:

So your running U-boot from sd card?
I netbooted without any SD card in the RPI3,
everything came from the network.   You have
to blow a fuse to enable this feature in the RPI3,
you can still boot from sd card after, but if there
is no sd card in the slot it well do PXE on the
ethernet to get address and payloads.

Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org