RPI3 sound for www/chromium, was Re: How much memory to compile www/chromium?

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Thu Dec 20 19:24:29 UTC 2018

On 12/20/2018 13:09, Greg V wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 9:56 PM, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 05:14:07PM +1100, Brian Scott wrote:
>>>
>>>  I believe the problem now is that support for builtin sound on the
>>> RPI3
>>>  is still a work in progress (it goes through the HDMI subsystem and I
>>>  think it was a 32 vs. 64 bit issue but is a mystery to me beyond
>>> that).
>>>

>> I infer that sound is only a distant murmur on the Pi3.....
>
> You can always use a USB sound adapter though!

Yes, and it works perfectly well.

The issue appears to be that the codebase is 64-bit and the interface
piece is 32; this made for some trouble that hasn't been resolved in
trying to get a driver to "play nice" with the hardware.

But a USB sound adapter works fine; I've been running one now for a nice
long time.  It has another advantage as well; the built-in sound, while
it works on the Pi2 and similar, has (IMHO) a crap noise margin and thus
even a $5 USB adapter sounds better!

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net <mailto:karl at denninger.net>