How much memory to compile www/chromium?

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Wed Dec 12 19:21:35 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 07:41:49PM +0100, Christoph Moench-Tegeder wrote:
> ## bob prohaska (fbsd at www.zefox.net):
>
> > How much memory should be required for
> > make -DBATCH
> > in www/chromium?
>
> Quite a lot, multiple GBs.
>

> I'm not even sure if your SD card will survive that :)

That's ok, I'm trying to discover what is and isn't practical on a Pi3

> > If this is expected, is there a way to reduce the number of
> > threads started by make?
>
> See bsd.ports.mk: DISABLE_MAKE_JOBS (as in "make -DDISABLE_MAKE_JOBS").

Thank you, I think that's the information needed. Come to think of it,
will the -j option, such as -j2, work in this situation also? Two threads
are much better than one 8-)

As it happens, the machine isn't stuck. Make still seems to be running,
now it's up to [18466/30819], admittedly not making fast progress.

I'll let it run for now, just to see what happens.

Thanks for your help,

bob prohaska