How much memory to compile www/chromium?

Christoph Moench-Tegeder cmt at burggraben.net
Wed Dec 12 18:42:02 UTC 2018

## bob prohaska (fbsd at www.zefox.net):

> How much memory should be required for
> make -DBATCH
> in www/chromium?

Quite a lot, multiple GBs.

> The system in question is an RPI3 running r341643.

That will hurt. A regular chromium build takes about 16 CPU-hours on
my fairly modern i7 CPU, SSDs and large RAM. Parallel compilation helps
a lot, keeping 16 CPU threads busy and my feet warm (building chromium
alone takes 1 hour of wall clock time on my system - if that's the only
thing I'm running at that time).

> Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
> /dev/mmcsd0s2b    4404252  2705928  1698324    61%

I'm not even sure if your SD card will survive that :)

> If this is expected, is there a way to reduce the number of threads started by make?

See bsd.ports.mk: DISABLE_MAKE_JOBS (as in "make -DDISABLE_MAKE_JOBS").

Gruss,
Christoph

--
Spare Space.