Orange Pi Zero support

Emmanuel Vadot manu at bidouilliste.com
Sat Jun 24 17:55:26 UTC 2017

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 19:31:35 +0200
Johnny Sorocil <jsorocil at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com>
> wrote:
>
> >  There is nothing on the serial console because we miss the h2
> > definition in aw_machdep.c
> >  I've started to add proper support for it today but there is some
> > problems with some old clocks drivers. I'm currently patching them and
> > hope to commit H2Plus support today or tomorow.
>
> It's nice to hear that :)
>
> I was experimenting with dts files (copied ethernet and emac part to the
> working dts file) - there will be output on the serial console, but no
> network:
> # dmesg | grep awg
>   awg0: <Allwinner Gigabit Ethernet> mem
> 0x1c30000-0x1c30103,0x1c00030-0x1c00033
> irq 35 on simplebus0 dfs
>   awg0: PHY type: rgmii, conf mode: reg
>   awg0: EMAC clock: 0x00140006
>   awg0: AHB frequency 300000000 Hz, MDC div: 0x3
>   awg0: soft reset timed out
>   device_attach: awg0 attach returned 60
> Datasheet for H3 says that soft reset should be performed only after all
> clock inputs are valid.
> Is that because kernel is using old clock drivers?

 For H3 we switch to clkng already.
 The problem is that dts binding were not standardized when we added
the driver (they will be in Linux 4.12).

> Are these assumptions correct:
> - the kernel will automatically use if_awg driver for the network card
>   (even on H2+ which doesn't have a Gb interface) if there is a correct
>   ethernet entry in dts?

 Yes.

> - when using newer Linux dts file (for H2+) there is no output on the
>   serial console because dts file states that this is H2+, but FreeBSD
>   kernel doesn't know what to do with H2+?

 Not anymore but yes.

> - newer Linux dts files (which defines SoC as H2+) will be able to be
>   used to boot FreeBSD?

 Yes.

 Not sure, maybe imp@ or kibab@ can answer that question.

> Can I somehow help with the porting effort?
>
> Maybe slightly OT:
> How kernel is debugged? Connect JTAG debugger and then single step?
> What to use from HW and SW for that purpose?

 I mostly use printf because I don't have jtag hardware and I'm lazy :)

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> <manu at freebsd.org>