Signal 11 on RPI2 running 12.0-CURRENT #6 r320526

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Sun Jul 2 23:57:22 UTC 2017

On 2017-Jul-2, at 4:43 PM, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 02, 2017 at 02:34:36PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
>>>
>>> Or patch has a -p option for stripping a prefix
>>> from the paths it uses (by a count of /'s removed
>>> by deleting the prefix): See man patch.
>>>

> Patch -p1 seemed to apply the diff successfully, but as you
> warned other parts of userland are too broken to function.
>
> Somewhat to my surprise, using single user mode it was possible
> to run make in /usr/src/lib/libc, but make install failed with
> install  -C -o root -g wheel -m 444   libc.a /usr/lib/
> install  -C -o root -g wheel -m 444   libc_p.a /usr/lib/
> install  -s -o root -g wheel -m 444   -fschg -S  libc.so.7 /lib/
> pid 377 (strip), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
> install: strip command strip failed on /lib/INS at bbHX
> *** Error code 70
>
> I believe strip is to some extent optional, is it possible
> (and would it help) to somehow turn off the strip function?

man install reports:

     -s      install exec's the command strip(1) to strip binaries so that
             install can be portable over a large number of systems and binary
             types.  See below for how install can be instructed to use
             another program to strip binaries.

It also reports in the ENVIRONMENT section:

     If the DONTSTRIP environment variable is present, install will ignore any
     specification of the -s option.  This is mainly for use in debugging the
     FreeBSD Ports Collection.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net