Random number generator on rpi

Jia-Shiun Li jiashiun at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 08:12:15 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:54 PM, Steve Kiernan <stevek at juniper.net> wrote:

> You might want to see my RPi rng driver review up on Phabricator.
> It is interrupt driven, which keeps the CPU utilization down to a fraction
> of a percent, whereas using a callout or other method easily consumes much
> more of the CPU.
>
> The review is here:
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D6888
>
> Note that for RBG (random bit generator) like the one in the RPi, they are
> not really RNGs themselves but random bit sources that must be processed
> by other algorithms to generate random numbers. So even if one were to grab
> the data to test for "randomness", one would need to not assume the rndtest
> would necessarily be appropriate, since the values returned by the RBG are
> not to be used directly as random numbers without post-processing.
>
> -Steve

I saw it committed yesterday. Great & thanks!

BTW does it have any other document other than
  http://pastehtml.com/view/crkxyohmp.rtxt
as mentioned in
  https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19334&start=275 ?

I cannot find any other source of info other than linux source and the
above link...

-Jia-Shiun.