Updating the RPI2 firmware

Toby misc.lists at fsck.ch
Wed Aug 31 21:41:06 UTC 2016

On 30/08/16 19:06, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:

> I am fixing a RPi2 box to be a router for my home. crouchet is great and I
> can get the board running fine. I needed to have pf built in, so a custom
> kernel was built. And now the main questions:

Pf should already be available as kld and automatically be loaded as
soon as you start pf. Although I don't know if things are different with
crochet, I'm not using it.

> the main way to update RPi boxes is really freebsd-update and svn+building
> sources? I will use packages but the built-in pf must be compiled.

Are binary updates with freebsd-update supported now with RELENG_11? I
compiled everything from source, but that was with 11-CURRENT and RC1 of
RELENG_11.

> and Toby, how much time was to build it on the RPi2? I think I may need to
> cool it further, as idling the box is much warmer then I would like it to
> be.

I don't remember exacly, but it was somewhere between 24h and 36h for
buildworld and buildkernel. And remember that you have to recompile all
ports if you update from a system built before 20160517 (see the
corresponding entry in /usr/src/UPDATING.