X on RPI2?

Brian McGovern (bmcgover) bmcgover at cisco.com
Wed Nov 4 19:17:48 UTC 2015

All,
  Thanks to everyone who responded on- and off- list. I just wanted to summarize the results in case anyone comes across this thread.

  The URL http://blog.cochard.me/2013/03/xorg-for-freebsd-on-raspberry-pi.html gets you 99% of the way there.I had found copy of this link in my own adventures, and it no longer appears to work on its own. Ultimately, what I ended up with is a modification which does work... The addition of the "DefaultFbBpp 24" line in the screen section brings up the display. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but there are artifacts - particularly during mouse movement. The other common complaint seemed to be performance issues when the PI2 wasn't under load; it seemed to be ok with the couple of XTerms I had open, but I wasn't doing anything particularly complex, either.

  Below is the full text of my now-mostly-working xorg.conf file.

  -Brian

Section "Files"
EndSection
Section "Module"
    Load        "dbe"
    Disable    "dri"
    Disable    "dri2"
    Disable    "glx"
    SubSection  "extmod"
       Option  "omit xfree86-dga"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option    "AIGLX"        "false"
    Option    "NoAccel"    "True"
    Option    "NoDRI"        "True"
    Option    "DRI"        "False"
    Option    "DRI2"        "False"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard1"
    Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol"      "auto"
    Option      "Device"        "/dev/sysmouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Monitor"
EndSection