RPi2 support...

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Sun May 10 05:35:36 UTC 2015

> On May 9, 2015, at 10:24 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I think Crochet will live on for a while.
>
> gjb didn't like how development wasn't freebsd-releng-friendly (but
> really, which upstream vendor project is in all honesty) so he's
> rolled a replacement that's just landed in head. Time will tell which
> will work out better.
>
> Me, I'm completely ignoring /all of that/ because I'm fed up with
> building things as root and having to do loopback mounts to build
> things and loopback devices to create filesystems. My mips stuff does
> everything 100% as a user, and it's actually really damned pleasant.
> I'd love to see FreeBSD move to that model but I have a feeling it'll
> be fighting against lazy developers who are used to having root
> everywhere.

I would love to see Crochet move to that model as well.

But it will not be simple:  Crochet aims to provide a lot of ways
to customize the image and it will be a challenge to come up
with clean ways to do all of that in a non-root fashion.
(For example, I want to someday be able to install packages
into the customized image.)

Where are your scripts?

Tim