FreeBSD on BeagleBone Black

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Wed Oct 8 05:35:03 UTC 2014

Luiz Otavio O Souza wrote this message on Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 01:07 -0300:
> On 8 October 2014 00:06, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > Bernd Walter wrote this message on Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 03:04 +0200:

> >> Basicly the BBB works very well under FreeBSD.
> >> Did you check the uart output?
> >> I'm not sure if those images are build with grafic support and
> >> there will be nothing on HDMI or attached LCD without it.
> >> To be honest: I don't even know if we have support for that output
> >> already with the BBB.
> >
> > We definately do not support output on HDMI...  I'm trying to get the
> > datasheet so I can get HDMI output working...
>
> Please, see: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2014-March/007822.html
>
> Gonzo did the LCD driver (which feed data into HDMI framer) and tried
> to port the TDA19988 HDMI framer driver.

Yeh, I got patches from him recently for this, but he said he was still
having issues...  I'm waiting for the Foundation to get a proper spec
sheet from NXP for the TDA19988...  I really don't like working blind..

> I've fixed the i2c controller issues on -head so you can skip that
> part from gonzo's patch.

Cool, thanks for the help....

> I also see some GPIO pins on schematics (like GPIO0_19 and GPIO1_27 on
> page 3) which may need to be set for the HDMI support and i did not
> check the gonzo's code to verify if they are properly set.

Yeh, GPIO1_27 is the one that enables the clock to the HDMI chip and
when I was looking over his patch, I didn't see anything for enabling
it...  This is mentioned in the SRM...

Looks like GPIO0_19 isn't necessary as that is the clock for CEC,
and we don't need that till later (say use the TV remote as an input
device)...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579