FreeBSD on BeagleBone Black

Luiz Otavio O Souza lists.br at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 04:07:36 UTC 2014

On 8 October 2014 00:06, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Bernd Walter wrote this message on Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 03:04 +0200:
>> On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 05:05:10PM -0400, AN wrote:
>> > Hi List:
>> >
>> > I have been using FreeBSD current on amd64 for many years.  I now have a
>> > project that I want to try to run on FreeBSD.  I'm trying to boot a
>> > FreeBSD image on a BeagleBone Black Rev C without success.
>> >
>> > FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-arm-armv6-BEAGLEBONE-20140903-r270990.img
>> > FreeBSD-arm-10.0-BEAGLEBONE.img
>> >
>> > The above images fail to boot.
>>
>> Basicly the BBB works very well under FreeBSD.
>> Did you check the uart output?
>> I'm not sure if those images are build with grafic support and
>> there will be nothing on HDMI or attached LCD without it.
>> To be honest: I don't even know if we have support for that output
>> already with the BBB.
>
> We definately do not support output on HDMI...  I'm trying to get the
> datasheet so I can get HDMI output working...

Please, see: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2014-March/007822.html

Gonzo did the LCD driver (which feed data into HDMI framer) and tried
to port the TDA19988 HDMI framer driver.

I've fixed the i2c controller issues on -head so you can skip that
part from gonzo's patch.

I also see some GPIO pins on schematics (like GPIO0_19 and GPIO1_27 on
page 3) which may need to be set for the HDMI support and i did not
check the gonzo's code to verify if they are properly set.

Luiz