Chrochet failed to boot on RPI-B/BBB

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Sat Aug 17 17:20:29 UTC 2013

On Aug 16, 2013, at 9:05 AM, biddut.mitra at ovi.com wrote:

> I am bit jealous here, those who are already running on RPI-B/BBB.
>
> I am able to successfully build using Chrochet both RPI/BBB (separately ofcourse, deleting the whole work directory before each build).

Deleting the whole work directory is not generally necessary.

> After I copy (dd) the image to SD, none the respective image is booting on the respective board.

We need more details.

For RPi:
  * Are you using a serial cable or HDMI/TV output?
  * Do you see any boot messages at all?
  * How long did you wait?  Some of the progress messages on boot only go to the HDMI by default; if you're using a serial cable, there is a long wait until the login prompt appears, especially on first boot.  (On first boot, SSHD generates keys; this takes a minute or more.)

For BBB:
  * Which serial cable are you using?
  * Did you hold the boot switch when you inserted the SD card?
  * Do you see any boot messages at all?

I just booted one of my BeagleBones here.  For reference, here are the key lines to look for in the boot messages (there are a lot of other lines; these are the ones I look for):

   U-Boot SPL 2013.04 (Aug 03 2013 - 21:27:30)

This is from the first stage U-Boot loader (U-Boot calls this "SPL" but it's in a file called "MLO" for BeagleBone).  This has to fit in the ~100k of processor memory that's available before DRAM is initialized.  If you don't see this, then there's something wrong with your image (try mounting the SD card on another computer and verify that it has an MSDOS FAT partition with a bunch of files on it).

   U-Boot 2013.04 (Aug 03 2013 - 21:27:30)

This is from the "real" U-Boot loader.  At this point, RAM is initialized.  U-Boot will now do some additional hardware initialization.

   reading bb-uEnv.txt

U-Boot loads some configuration data from "uEnv.txt" (For beagleBone, these files are named with 'bb' prefix.)

   reading bbubldr
   240468 bytes read in 33 ms (6.9 MiB/s)
   reading bbone.dtb
   13898 bytes read in 6 ms (2.2 MiB/s)

U-Boot loads the FreeBSD "ubldr" program (which knows how to load and start the FreeBSD kernel and modules).  It also loads the "DTB" file that will eventually be used to initialize the kernel.

   Booting from mmc ...
   ## Starting application at 0x88000054 …

U-Boot is now starting ubldr.  If it hangs here, you have a broken ubldr.

   FreeBSD/armv6 U-Boot loader, Revision 1.2
   (root at fci386.localdomain, Mon Jul 29 00:07:02 PDT 2013)

This is the startup message from ubldr.

   /boot/kernel/kernel data=0x446524+0x17c388 syms=[0x4+0x82000+0x4+0x4e15c]
   Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.

ubldr has loaded the kernel.

   Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
   Using DTB provided by U-Boot.
   Kernel entry at 0x80200100...
   Kernel args: (null)

Ubldr prints the above just before starting the kernel.  In particular, it prints out what DTB it is going to pass to the kernel (you always want the DTB provided by U-Boot; if you see something else, that's a bad sign).  If the boot hangs here, you have a broken kernel.

   KDB: debugger backends: ddb
   KDB: current backend: ddb
   Copyright (c) 1992-2013 The FreeBSD Project.
   Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
	The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
   FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
   FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #0 r253755: Mon Jul 29 00:05:48 PDT 2013

This is the first text printed by the FreeBSD kernel.  If you see this, then the kernel has successfully initialized the basic memory map and the console.

   Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mmcsd0s2a [rw,noatime]...
   warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system time will not be set accurately

These are the last lines printed by a FreeBSD/BeagleBone kernel before it mounts the root filesystem and starts executing the init scripts.

> I dd the FreeBSD-xxxxx.img, the way Chrochet suggested.
>
> It will be helpful, if any step by step direction would be helpful.

Here's the documentation we have so far:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Raspberry%20Pi
https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/BeagleBoneBlack

There's also a bunch of documentation inside of Crochet.
Start with board/BeagleBone/README and
board/RaspberryPi/README; there are other README
files in those directories as well.

Tim